Thursday, March 15, 2012

Mountain Climbing: Survivor 101

“I’m comin’ up on the rough side of the mountain,

I must hold to God, His powerful hand,

I’m comin’ up on the rough side of the mountain,

I’m doing my best to make it in.”

~Rev F C Barnes

I wanted to figure out how I could best tie in today’s topic and its analogy. I’m a visual learner and often make use of analogies or comparisons to increase my own understanding and comprehension. I’m sure you have picked up on that trend with my previous topics :o)

The lyrics above are from a song I remember hearing on television when I was little. The song, “Rough Side of The Mountain,” always provided me with a visual of someone trekking up a steep mountain, attempting to reach its peak. Do you have an image of someone ascending a mountain? Good. Keep that visual.

A friend of mine once shared his journey of finding Christ. This friend stated that he ran from salvation for years although deep inside he felt a pressing need to seek God’s will/path. This friend admitted that his stubbornness led him down a dark and painful path. It wasn’t until an acquaintance delivered an almost prophetic message that this young man began to pay attention. You see, during a conversation the acquaintance simply stated, “God wants you. Now, He can get you by choice or by force.” This acquaintance meant that because God is so powerful, whatever He speaks into existence, the same will be done. My friend had the choice to take the easy way or the hard way.

Now make no mistake about it, God still gives us free will. In my friend’s case, because he was so stubborn- although he felt Christ calling, he still chose to turn away. That choice led to a lot of heartache and pain. Unnecessary heartache and pain. In the end, my friend found Christ and is immensely happy now, but at what cost?

Some people argue that the outcome, the end product, is the most important. Basically, it doesn’t matter how you get there, as long as you get there.

Well, the issue with that mentality, especially where God is concerned, is the outcome has already been decided. God’s words become bond (which is another reason why we shouldn’t take the Lord’s name in vain or use it so loosely- but that’s another discussion).

So if you know the outcome- better yet, the path, the plan, the final product- wouldn’t logic tell you to take the straightest route? Wouldn’t sense teach you to carry out the necessary steps to reach that outcome?

As saints, or even if you have been debating if you should seek Christ, it is a fact that those who seek Christ already have the victory….in Jesus’ name. Because Christ overcame the world, those who seek Him, believe in Him, and accept Him into their lives have the victory as well. In Jesus’ name, we are sealed and protected:

“that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life. For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.”

John 3:15-17

“These things I have spoken unto you that in me ye might have peace. In the world, ye shall have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”

John 16:33

What a marvelous outcome!

So what sense does it make to take detours and pit stops along the journey? While I do believe the journey or the experience is important, I believe it’s equally important to be smart about the path you decide to take.

Why get sidetracked when we already have the plan or outcome before us?

Well from my experience it’s been a result of doubting that outcome. I didn’t believe I already had the victory. I mean, I didn’t do anything to deserve it, so why would it be that simple?

That concept is common in a lot of societies: those who are fortunate or successful have earned it. They worked earnestly and steadfastly; they achieved it. If you look up the definition behind achieve it would list “to accomplish; to get or attain by effort; to obtain.” We have been brought up in most societies to believe that the victor gets the victory through hard, good, earnest work, while those who are lazy are unaccomplished or unsuccessful. Those who catch a break are considered “lucky” and are even viewed negatively because they didn’t do anything to earn their reward; they didn’t deserve it.

I can say in most earthly circumstances that concept has validity. I can even go as far as to say that I didn’t do anything to earn my salvation. But please keep in mind we’re not talking about an earthly entity. We’re talking about the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

The Holy Trinity is not of this world, so earthly laws need not apply. Would you like to know another thing? After you accepted Jesus into your life you became a new self that is unearthly too:

“That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to deceitful lusts: And be renewed in the spirit of your mind: And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.”

Ephesians 4: 22-24

So yes, I had to accept that I already had the victorious outcome because of Jesus Christ. Thus, pit stops and detours are not needed or necessary and are, in fact, counterproductive. I will get to the outcome regardless, so it makes perfect, logical sense to take the straightest path to reach the peak.

Now that we’ve covered the outcome, let’s talk about paths. We have two options: our will or His will. Both are paths and both involve journeys. Here are a few things I’ve learned:

1) My path leaves me at the mercy of dangerous traps and snares, while God’s path provides 100% protection.

Because God loves me, I learned that He will still protect me even when I decided to go down my own path. Yes, He cares that much! However, it’s typically in the form of catching me before I fall off a cliff or became completely ensnared. Think Batman, Superman, or better yet, MacGyver- the heroes who always come in the nick of time to save the day.

Although God catches me before I plummet to grave valleys, I still end up with injuries, scraps, and bruises due to my foolish need to insert my own independence. What I learned: FREE WILL + IGNORANCE= DISASTER!!!

2) I typically don’t make any lead way on my own path.

Basically, I don’t break any new ground. More so, I find myself walking in circles. A prime example: Due to some circumstances in my life I disclosed to my mother that I felt I was turning my wheels and getting nowhere.

In fact, it seemed that as soon as I decided to seek God’s will, I was brought back to the same place I started. God had been attempting to guide me, however like my friend, I allowed my stubbornness and need for independence to dictate where I wanted to go. Fortunately, God heard my cry, my request for His will to be done and guided me back to the right point where His path led.

Let me emphasize this important factor: I must choose to follow His path/His will in order to prevent falling back into the circle-walking routine.

Does that make sense? I hope it does, because I feel it has been the deciding factor between climbing up the mountain and just circling around it.

Now, because of God’s power and grace, He is able to take our will (ie walking in circles) and use it as a learning process. Maybe you discover skills you never thought of. Maybe you come across someone who can assist or help you along your journey. Maybe that person even accompanies you during your journey.

However make no mistake about it: You will come back to the same point or fork in the road you first started on. You will be going in circles.

Because I’m human, I know I’m going to make mistakes. Rather, it’s what I learn from those mistakes that will determine how straight, or rocky, my path will be to get to the peak or reach the outcome. My latest detour (walking in circles) lasted a year.

A year!

While I’m appreciative of that journey- I discovered some survival skills to assist me along the way and I also met some wonderful people who have provided positive companionship during the journey as well- I can’t help but to think: “Wow, did I really waste a year?”

Now, while I’m too optimistic to view any experience as a waste, I do want to learn from my detour so that I won’t be likely to take a similar path down the road.

This takes me to my final lesson:

3) I need God’s discernment to ensure I get to the right path and stay on it.

With each path, my will/path versus God’s will/path, there will be tribulation and strife. Again make no mistake about it, a life of a saint is not an easy one, but it is rewarding and very necessary. His path will take me to new heights and elevation. Mine?? Yeah, I got over my “scenic” route rather quickly :o)

And there lies the difference between both paths: one path will take me to victory and the other will provide a delay. The journey down God’s path will always bring a heighten, elevated breakthrough or stage. While I will face steepness and rocky roads during my trek up the mountain, God has assured me I will overcome them through Christ. Not only will He prepare me with the necessary tools to face a rocky point in the journey, His blessings will elevate me higher so that I’m closer to reaching His peak.

So with this in mind, His path calls for complete trust. In order to get us to that mountaintop, we have to trust Him. We mustn’t become afraid or begin to doubt whenever we face rockiness or adversity. A lion may cross our path, but God will provide the means to overcome it (think about David). And if God’s path requires that you climb up the rough side of the mountain, please remember you’re climbing up to His glorious outcome.

Be blessed saints!

“For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you an expected end.”

Jeremiah 29:11

No comments:

Post a Comment